THATCHED COTTAGE ALTERATIONS
The original residents of this building in the 1800’s were brewers and agricultural labourers. The smaller thatched building in the garden was where the beer was sold and villagers would come and drink from their own ceramic mugs – the remnants of which are still in evidence when turning over the garden.
Our involvement has been to improve the quality of work done in the C20th and reinstate some of the lost detailing. At the time of construction, there were no lathes or machines and so joinery was handmade, often on site. The oak beams have been taken back to their original state through sand-blasting, the elm floors polished. The 1970’s staircase has been re-modelled and the original inglenook chimney extended to house a wood-burning stove. We have designed a new terrace that overlooks the landscaped gardens and woodland beyond the stream; this area can now be explored on the bark path that we laid between the hazel trees.
The house faces south but was in the shadow of 6 large conifer trees which we removed and in so doing created a field view – the 3 horses which occupy the stables and land next door can now be seen from the kitchen window